Monday, September 14, 2009

Virtue

I pray that the words I write today will have an impact, for I know that there are many youth (both LDS and non) who read this blog. Please understand that what I write is honest and true and not just surface repetition. These are truly my feelings.

The YW presidency in our ward has recently invited us RS sisters to join the YW in accomplishing the new Virtue Project. What a fun experience. I began several months ago, but am jst now getting around to writing my thoughts about them. Virtue Value Experience #1 invites us to read several scriptures about the importance of chastity and virtue, then write the promised blessings of being sexually clean and pure and my commitment to be chaste.

I am so excited about this opportunity because it gives me a moment to reflect upon my past. I am so grateful that I lived a clean and pure life growing up. I always tried to keep the companionship of the Holy Ghost with me, praying everywhere I went. I was a unique sort of YW in that I always tried really, really hard to keep my body and mind free of anything offensive to the Spirit and I often walked out on things, walked away from my peers that were not in keeping with the gospel. Some of the things my friends would do with their boyfriends/girlfriends or just passing friends disgusted me. I never really understood the drive to tamper with trivial kissing or "making out". I felt that certain things were much too sacred to be treated with such pettiness. I never once looked back with regret. I never wished to change my choices. I never once remember feeling as though it was a sacrifice, but rather a priviledge to be an example of pure mind and pure heart. That isn't to say that I was perfect because I was far from it and often made mistakes but I was always at peace knowing that my virtue was pure. I am grateful that I have never had to worry about disease, addiction, esteem issues, pregnancies or other problems that often come from leading a sexually impure life. I kept myself pure until marriage and now throughout marriage I strive to continue living a virtuous life.

Yet, for those who have fallen into the trap, there is yet a way out. Christ has atoned for us and continues to make it possible to return unto Him. We can change and be forgiven. We can repent and sin no more. We can regain our virtue by changing our direction.

In the Book of Mormon dictionary, virtue is defined as holiness, merit, purity and strength. What greater blessing can we ask of than this?

No comments: