(this is a story I wrote and distributed to friends and neighbors for christmas this year, along with a small jar of peach salsa)
I began cooking this recipe on a whim. My mother had sent me the recipe, claiming it’s deliciousness. I believed her. I had organized a more-or-less “spontaneous” ladies’ night for the Friday evening that the men were going hunting and I wanted something productive to do without needing any entertainment. Needless to say, I had invited two of my dearest friends over after dinner to let the kids play while we women sat around and chatted. But we three women are not content to just “sit around” so I decided that cooking a few batches of this mysterious salsa with them would prove quite an adventure. Without even a second thought, I ventured out to buy the ingredients for a very unpredictable sauce.
It wasn’t until arriving at the store that I finally studied the necessary ingredients: peaches, onions, jalapeƱos, chilies, sugar, cilantro, garlic, cumin, etc. What had I gotten myself into? Was this really going to be as good as I was told? How could all of those bizarre ingredients blend to form something edible, after all peaches and sugar belong together and peppers, cilantro and garlic belong together, but combining the two tastes was well beyond my comfort! Still, I went along with the idea.
We ladies visited as a quilt was bound by one and the peaches chopped by another while I was at the stove simmering the sauces when a thought crossed my mind. I glanced at our little gathering, taking in the two lovely faces of my dear friends-thinking of the lives they live, the trials they face, the legacy they are now living. I thought of their impact on me. And with that, I began to think of all my other friends. Each of their faces flooded my mind. Of those I thought of, some were neighbors, some were close friends while others were new friends or people I wanted to get to know, but hadn’t had the opportunity to yet. Some are seasoned in life, some are still very young. Some are male, some female. Some share my same beliefs while others venture their own. Some are very up close and personal while others I enjoy at a distance. My mind wandered back and forth from my friends to the salsa. Like each of the ingredients, my friends too are unique. We are all so vastly different from each other, delivering a different and unlikely “taste” to the relationship. (As I side note, I decided that I was neither the spicy jalapeƱo nor the sweet peach, but rather the tear-jerking onion!) Still, we combine together to create something beautiful and delicious to share and enjoy, something I treasure more than life itself-a friendship.
To make a long story short, we ladies had a lovely evening making what surprisingly turned out to be a delicious treat! It surprised us all that even the children enjoyed it. It surprised us even more that the husbands loved it! But the impression left in my mind, evermore remaining, is my most cherished surprise of the evening.
So, upon my allegory of the peach salsa, I have delivered some to you. Your “flavor” is an important ingredient to my salsa of life. How grateful I am for you and for your influence-for your legacy and your friendship. You make my life a little sweeter, a little spicier, a little better just by knowing you.
Thank you, thank you for being who you are and for everything you stand for.
P.S. Different uses for this peach salsa include:
dip with crackers, tortilla chips or saltines
marinade
glaze served over prepared chicken or pork (just simmer a few minutes prior to eating)
stir-fry sauce
salsa over tacos, burritos or enchiladas, etc…
dip with crackers, tortilla chips or saltines
marinade
glaze served over prepared chicken or pork (just simmer a few minutes prior to eating)
stir-fry sauce
salsa over tacos, burritos or enchiladas, etc…
1 comment:
So glad the peach salsa is a hit-my kids like it also. My friend Cindy was kind enough to share it with me. Have a great weekend. Love ya
Post a Comment