Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Thoughts Only

I love the gospel. I love the church. I love conference. I love iTunes. I love the fact that iTunes has the conference talks available from the church teaching the gospel for FREE so that I can listen to them anytime, anywhere, any way I want to. When other people pop in a movie to fold the laundry or fill the empty time, I crave conference so all I have to do is conveniently fold the laundry in the same room as my computer or clean the surrounding rooms while the General Authorities are blaring. While others pump up the volume of rock or country music, you'll oftentimes find conference bursting through my windows.

Today was one of those days.

I had an urge to listen to President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. Probably because he's, like, our (my husband and I) very favorite speaker of all time. He's funny, charming, poised, eloquent and has a really, really enchanting accent, to boot. We enjoy listening to him. So, I turned on his conference address "Of Things That Matter Most". As usual, his talk changed me. The part that stood out the most to me reads:

"It may seem odd to have a relationship with ourselves, but we do. Some people can't get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves all day long until they begin to hate themselves. May I suggest that you reduce the rush and take a little extra time to get to know yourself better...Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you-as His precious daughter or son with divine potential."

How true! How many of us really take the time to look at ourselves everyday and see ourselves as Heaven sees us? How would our lives be different if this was the case? What potential would you see if you were to take the time? How would it affect your present circumstances? What influence could we offer if we were to just readjust the way we think about ourselves!

Here's my challenge to you this week: I triple-dog dare you (my students tell me that's the WORST kind of dare) so I triple-dog dare you to take 5 minutes EVERY day to stare at yourself in the mirror and think ONLY happy, positive thoughts. List what you're good at, list your best personality traits, list what you like about your physical body, list the things you are able to accomplish. list what amazing gifts you are given. This isn't a "count your many blessings" time. This is a "fully accept yourself and see how amazing you are" time. You must fill all five minutes with happy, upbeat, loving thoughts. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THIS TIME TO DISSECT YOURSELF IN A NEGATIVE OR DEGRADING WAY! HAPPY THOUGHTS ONLY!!!!!

I promise that if you'll do this you will see a huge difference in your life: in your relationships, in your self-esteem, in your callings, in your business, in every way. Give it a try, see what you think. I have. I do. I am changed.

No comments: