Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Serve


I love this quote. I use it every day of my life. I think it's a glorious one! Thus, my topic of the day.

Service.

There are many different interpretations to the scriptures. Thus, why they are always such a mystery to me: the message a scripture holds one day could be interpreted something completely different the next, depending on where I am in my life.
Today, happens to be one of those days.

Matthew 10:39 reads, "He who [seeketh to save] his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."

Interpretation #1: Someone who dies for the Lord's name and His purpose shall find everlasting joy.
Interpretation #2: The Lord's path is the only one where you will discover yourself.
There are many other, but today, I am focusing on my own personal
Interpretation #3: If you are struggling with anything in life, lose yourself in service in Heavenly Father's name and you shall find what you are looking for.

There are a lot of times when I feel down or frustrated or unhappy with life. There are a lot of times that I just don't have any idea what to do or where to go. Sometimes I may even seem lost or a little depressed. But years ago, I discovered a sure way to ease my burdens.

I found that if I turned a little of my negative energy into something that happily affected someone else, then I would feel so much better about life. I have sometimes taken cookies or homemade bread, dropped off a dinner or offered to help with the kids. I've also discovered that something small like a little Facebook note or an email or a text could brighten someone's day, thus making mine seem worthwhile. Sometimes I sneak into my sons' bedrooms and make their beds (since I'm a STICKLER about them doing it on their own...) or call my dad and tell him a joke or just hug my husband for no particular reason. Sometimes, all I need to do is smile and wave to someone and my heart is lifted.

In doing all these tiny little acts, something magical would happen and seeing the smile on their faces would bring joy and comfort to my soul and peace to my mind and, ever so slightly, heal my heart.

I know that some of you are struggling, at many different levels; some with pain I can only imagine. I know that life is difficult for everyone and that we all have challenges we are trying to overcome. I also know that the act of service is the act of God, that a mystical power lies beneath the simple acts of goodness and that our lives will seem better, our challenges seem smaller if we will just find some way to look beyond ourselves and our own lives for a moment in order to lift another's burden.



1 comment:

Jack & Debbie Campbell Johnson said...

LOVE YOUR MESSAGE ABOUT SERVICE AUDREY. THANK YOU

MOM