We've all read Matthew 25: 14-30.
(If you haven't you really ought to. It's one of my favorites...and this post will make SO much more sense, if you're familiar with it.)
We've all said we feel like the servant with only ONE talent: because we cannot hit a ball or carry a tune in a bucket or create beautiful heirloom quilts. We have all felt like the Lord passed us by when handing out the talents in heaven.
I hope to change our minds
I was discussing this topic with my gospel doctrine teacher this past Sunday. He's a very skilled and well-versed man. He is a phenomenal teacher. I learn so much from his lessons. It always makes me feel so happy when I attend his classes. When teaching the parable of the talents this past Sunday, he mentioned that he felt like the servant with only ONE talent for the same reasons as I listed in the previous paragraph. This led to a discussion, after class, just between the two of us which ultimately led us BOTH to realize that the true talents in this world aren't necessarily being able to run fast or draw well or sing beautifully.
Those are the RESULT of the truest of all talents.
Example:
One might say that I am a very talented singer, a very gifted songwriter. To that I say thank you. But I don't deem those as my real gifts. Here's why: I didn't come out of the womb knowing how to read music or to stylize the control of my voice or write beautiful lyrics. Heaven knows that it has taken me an awful lot of work, a lot of heartache and a lot of sweat and blood to be where I am today (which is still leaps and bounds from where I hope to someday be).
But the Lord DID placed inside me the gift of determination, the gift of persistence, the gift of perseverance and hope and desire.
And through using and developing those very base gifts, I have developed other abilities that I wasn't necessarily born with but which I desired to do. I couldn't have ever learned what I have, had I hidden or buried THOSE pure talents because I was afraid.
And that's how it is for all of us:
The star quarterback doesn't throw touchdowns at birth; he uses his strength and his determination to develop that ability.
The artist doesn't design high-class artwork until she develops patience, awareness and feelings.
The motivational speaker cannot influence others unless he discovers courage, testimony and gentle persuasion.
The gardener doesn't naturally have a green thumb; she developed her desire and wisdom over time.
And that's how it is with us:
The man who shares love, concern and time ultimately is considered a talented father.
A woman who acts on promptings of compassion and faith is known as a talented friend.
A person who is thorough, attentive and willing becomes a talented leader.
I believe that we were ALL blessed with many, many talents that we do not recognize; many that we don't understand are true gifts. YOU are blessed with amazing abilities that stem to the very core of your creation. YOU use these talents on a daily basis to work and live and serve the Lord. Through discovering the true talents that lie beneath, through being willing to recognize them and develop them and then using the those gifts, we will become as the servant in the parable, of which the Lord will say unto us:
"Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter into the joy of the Lord".
And you will see that the talents beneath
are those which are the truest.

2 comments:
We just had this lesson too... thanks for your post! Very thought-provoking!
Thanks Aud, sometimes I feel so bad that I don't have a visable talent and your post has helped me remember my purpose on this earth! love ya
Post a Comment