Monday, December 13, 2010

True Meaning

Last night, after a Christmas party, my newly baptized 9-1/2 year old son was snuggling up to me on the couch when he looked me in the eyes and asked, "Mom. What it the TRUE meaning of Christmas?"

I was so proud of him. I was so happy that he, at such a young age, would have a desire to know such a profound thing. We have discussions every year since our oldest was a newborn about how Christmas is about the birth of Christ and the different symbols of the season and about giving and all that other important stuff. But last night was different. Last night, he was READY to soak in the truth.

So I began, anticipating his rejection or intolerance of the subject, since he is a TINY bit on the temperamental side:

"Aaron, Christmas is about celebrating Christ's birth. Because if Christ hadn't been born then He wouldn't have lived. If He hadn't lived then He couldn't have performed miracles in all the world..."

He interjected, "And then He couldn't have created the world and we wouldn't be here!"

"No. We would all still be alive because He created the world before He came to earth. We'd all be able to live, we just wouldn't have a way to repent."

"Oh. Then what?"

I tried to simplify it, but I knew he knew how to understand, so I just repeated. "Aaron, if Jesus hadn't been born then Jesus couldn't have walked on the earth and performed miracles. " I then felt my heart swell as I testified: "And if He hadn't lived then He couldn't have atoned for our sins. If Christ hadn't been born, then He couldn't have died. If He hadn't died, He couldn't have broken the chains of death and been resurrected so that we may all live with Him and Heavenly Father again someday. So, because all of this DID happen, we celebrate the one most important event that led up to all the other most important events in all the world. We celebrate his birth."

He thought for about ten seconds ('cause that's as long as he ever holds still) then looked at me, hugged me, gave me a kiss on the forehead and ran off to play. But I sat for several minutes, contemplating the conversation.

I am so grateful for those few moments we shared. To be reminded of the sacredness of the holiday once again has touched my heart. I am so grateful that I know the true meaning of the holiday season. I am grateful for the ability to look around and see the symbols in all that transpires, in all that we decorate, in all that takes place during this most SACRED holiday season.

3 comments:

Lamb said...

Cute kid! Sometimes I find this time of year is so hard to remember what is most important when we get caught up in the gifts and the hussle and bussle. Thanks for this post because I needed a little reminder myself! Merry Christmas!

Debbie Campbell Johnson said...

Audrey,this is so special, we've always known that Aaron is a special child, he has thoughts that are deeper than most adults. His baptism was perfect, even adding extra water.
Tell him thanks for letting us all remember that question again. So that we can ponder and keep the True meaning with our Homes and Hearts.
Merry Christmas Audrey

CHERISE AND MARTY said...

LOVE IT, KIDS SAY THE MOST TOUCHING THINGS SOMETIMES. I LOVE WHEN THEY OPEN OUR EYES AS ADULTS TO WHAT THINGS REALLY ARE. LOVE YA, C