Monday, October 19, 2009

We Have More Than We Realize


Yesterday in Sunday School, we were taught about the pioneers and how they really, truly gave everything they had for the Lord's sake-their time, their talents, their means of life, their own lives-everything. And they did this without so much as a second thought. Their faith was so powerful that they never thought "When I'm financially stable..." or "When the yard is finished..." or "When I have more..." This hit me so hard! It got my wheels a-spinning and I haven't been able to shake the emotions it evoked inside me.

Why can't we be more like the pioneeers? They had NOTHING yet, they gave EVERYTHING. They sacrificed all they had in order to build the Lord's kingdom. They often times were called to a new settlement just as they had a safe roof put over their heads. They were called to share food and clothing when they oftentimes had barely enough for survival. They shared their small 20x20 sq. ft. homes with one or two other families throughout the winter. They gave all-held nothing back.

What a lesson we have to learn from our amazing ancestory! We have so much! Even those of us who have so very little, have so much to give! How selfish we are when we look and see that we only have 10 pairs of shoes or 25 different outfits, when we can only go out for one Diet Coke this week, instead of one a day. (For the record, I don't drink soda. I think it's yucky!) At what point did we, as the Lord's chosen people, become so consumed with our own desires that we forgot to live the law of consecration, to see that others' needs are filled? If we were called to leave everything we own, to journey to a new settlement in order to spread the gospel, would we? Do we now sacrifice all for the Lord's purpose?

What a powerful lesson I learned yesterday! "Though we may have but very little, we still have something we can give." That is what I took away from church. I have rededicated myself to seeing others' needs met. I don't have to take drastic measures and starve my family or go naked (whew!) but I can give a little more here and there in order to see that those suffering from natural disasters or other ailments have what they may need. I'll never miss a few dollars or a couple pairs of shoes. I can devote more time to my visiting teaching. I can put just a little more effort into my calling. I can discover my talents in order to build the kingdom. I have more to give than I realize.

2 comments:

Grandma Vic said...

Thanks for the powerful words of wisdom, we all need a reality and blessing check often. Love ya, Vic

Debbie Campbell Johnson said...

HEY MY SWEET GIRL !
YOU ARE SO IMSPIRED IN ALL THAT YOU LEARN AND DO. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR TEACHING ME EVERYTIME I TALK TO YOU. OR READ YOUR POSTS.
I LOVE YOU DAUGHTER.

WE ARE BLESSED AND WE DO NEED A CHECK IN REALITY OFTEN.
HUGS
MOM